Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Dog Food

We have two dogs and one cat, just one animal short of a herd. Fortunately, the cat takes care of herself for the most part. Both dogs are high maintenance. They know the other dog’s name better than their own. If we want one dog to come, we call the other, and so forth.

Beau is a thirteen year-old Cocker Spaniel-Golden Retriever mix, weighing in at about 28 lbs. He’s spoiled and arthritic, half-blind and half-deaf. I’m already shopping for doggy diapers. Sam is our new addition, a rusty-colored eight month-old Golden Retriever weighing in at 60 lbs. and counting. He’s got a huge pink tongue with beautiful brown eyes. We got Sam last Christmas because I told Nancy I couldn’t bear the thought of coming home to a dog-less house one day. Getting him not only threw Beau’s world for a loop, it introduced a whole new level of competition I never imagined.

At first we had to feed them separately. The vet told us that a new puppy’s nutritional needs were vastly different from an older dog’s. We’d have to lock one dog in one room while the other ate. After a while, we just settled for one multi-generational dog food. The dogs didn’t get the memo. For some reason, Beau thinks Sam is getting a better deal than he’s getting. Sam thinks the same thing the other way.

Even though we put the same food in each dog’s bowl and neither dog lacks for anything, once we put their bowls on the floor, each dog runs to the other’s bowl. They’re so afraid that one dog is getting a better deal. Feeding time is comedy time. Nancy and I stand back in amazement and just laugh. Why is it that neither dog can just appreciate the fact that there is food in their bowl? Like their animal cousins, the birds of the air, they neither toil nor spin. Their master takes care of them just because – well – that’s what loving masters do. We’d sooner neglect ourselves than let them go begging, like a dog.

Why is that we run when someone else’s name gets called, like we don’t have our own name and God doesn’t know it, too? Why is it that we are so eager to eat out of someone else’s bowl, when ours is full to overflow? Why is it we always want what someone else has, like their house or their car or their job or their wife or whatever, instead of just thanking God for what he’s given us?

I wonder if God just laughs sometimes.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

I'm sure he does, and quite often. We can act pretty crazy sometimes.

This one really hit home today since we are caring for a friend's dog at our house while they are out of town. It's a BIG black lab named JD and a Chiweenie named Oscar. You can get dizy just standing between them at meal time.

I was really afraid when Dennis sent me your last sermons that I was going to lose all the wonderful things God says through your messages to me & our family. It was as though part of me was hurt & alone. I realize how selfish that sounds considering what you have been going through. But I seemed to take what was happening to you personally. We never really realize how much we depend on or take for granted what we have until whatever it may be isn't there anymore. Your sermons were one of those things I really depended on & I didn't even know how much.
I can't tell you how thankful I was when Dennis sent me the link to your blog. I can't tell you how thankful I am that you are still sharing your knowledge with us, even as you learn new things daily. But I'm sure you know by now, reading others comments, how much we all care for you, pray for you & love to read/share in your wonderful words. They are a blessing, they are heart wrenching, they are so truthful and so very helpful!

I used to print off the sermons so we could share them with others. Mom would read them to Dad and the other residents in his new home, I would leave them in the waiting room at the Doctor's office or hospital or some other public place. I couldn't just run them through the shredder, they were too important. Someone had to come along after me that really needed to read them at that very moment.
You have know idea the number of people's lives you have touched and will continue to do so. Tomorrow I have an appointment at the Dr. & the hospital. Someone else will be touched by your story when I leave both places.
Thanks for all you do for us Glen.
I can't wait to see what is next in your life journey. It's going to be something very special. He is after all an awesome God.
Kathy McPherson

Pastor Glen said...

Kathy -

If encouragement were an alternative fuel, I could run my car all year on your words alone. We pastors are a sad lot in some ways - we are so dependent on the reflection of others to believe that what we do is important. God has definitely put me on a diet in that regard. I needed to hear what you wrote - this very day. I am always amazed at how God seems to know that and give someone a nudge about it. Thank you.

Please know that this response comes with my prayers for a deep, personal sense of his presence with you. When I was sick last summer, I learned for the first time that the promise of the 23rd Psalm, "though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death," was for the living far more than those who had already passed. We are promised His presence - that's about it - and that's all we really need, wouldn't you agree?

I find his presence - more now than ever - coming to me through other people who become the presence of Christ for me every time they step into my life - either physically or through a note of encouragement like yours.

It gives me more courage to take the next step of the journey to know that anyone has found hope in what I say.

Bless you.

Glen

Tim Dahl said...

Some times I think he just cries.

Thanks for this...this was needed.

Tim